Guess what I drove?

Free Breathers

Postby ChristianL » August 25th, 2003, 10:06 pm

An automatic Miata! :D

Our newest member, John (step up and register, my friend!) stopped by my place on Sunday with his 4-week old (to him) '97 M Edition, and the car's as nice as he is. Hopefully, you'll all get to meet him at the next event - he can't wait. And hey, he's another one of you Edgewater guys.

Anyway, he and I traded cars for a few miles, and I got to drive his M Edition, which happens to be an automatic. Really pretty interesting, actually.

Once you get past not having a clutch pedal, it really drives pretty nicely. It'll shift around 6200rpm if you want it to, or if you want to play with the "Hold" button (keeps it in gear), you can make it downshift pretty easily in higher gears.

The trickiest part is cornering, where you tend to over-brake, which causes the transmission to pick too high of a gear, and it dogs off the turn. However, once you learn to use the "Hold" feature, you can power out of the turns and get it to upshift pretty nicely.

I still don't think I'd trade my 5-speed for it, but I have to admit, it was more fun than what I'd thought an automatic Miata would be.

Thanks again, John! :wavey:
2009 Honda Civic EX (Tango Red Pearl) - the wife's daily driver
2010 Honda Civic EX (Royal Blue Pearl) - my daily driver that was supposed to be another Miata

Follow CarGuyChristian on Twitter!
ChristianL
Contributing Member

Postby djarum69 » August 25th, 2003, 10:24 pm

I've driven a 1.6 auto, which wasn't bad, but you miss the torque. It didn't have any "Hold" button either.
Trying to control this thing is kind of like trying to make oatmeal cry. It's like trying to use the president's mouth to make out with God's middle name. It's like trying to stir diarrhea with your dog's sense of humor.
// Silver '02 LS //
djarum69
Board Member

Postby ragged_scooper » August 26th, 2003, 5:32 am

John's gonna have to let us Edgewater guys know where he lives. :) If we keep this up we'll soon have an Edgewater Gang! :D
Ron Buck
1996 Montego Blue
1990 Red - 2000-2005 RIP
Londontown/Edgewater, MD

I used to watch golf on TV, but my doctor said I needed more exercise, so now I have a personal trainer at the gym!
ragged_scooper
Contributing Member

Postby jaymond » August 26th, 2003, 7:41 am

FYI, Bob Hausmann rode his automatic Miata to first place at the recent practice autocross in E stock class.

All he had on there were Kumho Victoracer V700s! I was talking to him about the car and he mentioned the lag...but he's got a Miata parts car which will donate all the auto-to-stick conversion. :cool:
Jay
jaymond
Lapsed Member

Return to Naturally Aspirated