Running Rich... - ...The car, not me.....

Free Breathers

Postby makijo » September 11th, 2004, 12:56 pm

I have a question, I have notice that there is the occasional rich smell coming from the exhaust. When I bought the car, I did the whole tune-up thing ( plugs, wires, oil change, radiator flush ). The only thing I didn't replace was the fuel filter, could this be a source of the problem?? We ran injector cleaner through it also.
1996 Classic White, Casper, 150xxx
1991 Classic Red, LILred, 302xxx RIP

"Growing older is mandatory, Growing up is optional !!"
makijo
Board Member

Postby ChristianL » September 11th, 2004, 3:58 pm

I wouldn't think it'd be the fuel filter, because if that was malfunctioning, it would probably cause the motor to run lean.

Off the top of my head, I'd bet it's something small like a PCV valve going bad.

But before you do anything, I recommend reading this page and see if the engine is giving you any error codes. That should at least give you a good place to start. From there, we can help you figure out the next course for repairs. :cool:
2009 Honda Civic EX (Tango Red Pearl) - the wife's daily driver
2010 Honda Civic EX (Royal Blue Pearl) - my daily driver that was supposed to be another Miata

Follow CarGuyChristian on Twitter!
ChristianL
Contributing Member

Postby ian » September 11th, 2004, 11:12 pm

you definately want to check the codes, but off the top of my head i'd say check the O2 sensor.
ian
Lapsed Member

Postby makijo » September 12th, 2004, 3:02 pm

Okay, I read the codes and it came up "3 G signal". I know that the check engine light has not come on since I have owned the car so this could be a old code. If this is a lingering code that the previous owner didn't take care of, what is a G Signal???

makijo
Board Member

Postby jaymond » September 13th, 2004, 10:05 am

FYI: A few signs that your car is running rich:
-spark plugs black/sooty = rich
-black smoke from exhaust
Jay
jaymond
Lapsed Member

Postby bill_keksz » September 13th, 2004, 10:12 am

But, they do run rich. Any other symptoms?
bill_keksz
Contributing Member

Postby ChristianL » September 13th, 2004, 10:22 am

makijo wrote:what is a G Signal???

"G-Signal" is a somewhat miscellaneous error code that Mazda assigned, meaning it could be something as easy as a dirty Cam Angle Sensor (CAS) or as serious as a fried ECU.

I've noticed a lot of the early cars throw that code sporadically, but it doesn't seem to affect the engine's performance.

Just as something else to throw into the mix, how's the engine timing? I just ask since the G-signal can be caused by the CAS, which is where you'd adjust timing.

Also, I'd agree with Ian to check the voltage on the oxygen sensor. They sometimes won't give an error code when they're going bad, but since it analyzes the exhaust, a malfunctioning one could tell the ECU to give the engine more fuel.
2010 Honda Civic EX (Royal Blue Pearl) - my daily driver that was supposed to be another Miata

ChristianL
Contributing Member

Postby makijo » September 13th, 2004, 10:44 am

I haven't checked the timing yet, I will when I get home today. I am going to replace the PCV when I get home today, it was making noise when I shook it but it seemed a bit on the sluggish side. I will also check the voltage on the O2 sensor.

makijo
Board Member

Postby ChristianL » September 13th, 2004, 11:03 am

Don't forget that if you need to turn the CAS to correct the timing, make sure you pop open the diagnostic box and put the jumper wire back in before you adjust the timing. That way, it'll fool the computer and give you an accurate timing setting.

ChristianL
Contributing Member

Return to Naturally Aspirated