K&N versus Sponge - Different

Free Breathers

Postby medrvmx5 » March 2nd, 2004, 9:05 pm

As you guys have seen under my hood I have a dirty Monsterflow intake with the foam filter it came with. Well, I was never comfy with foam, and all my other cars run K&N filters, and I have the cleaner kits.

So I bought a K&N cone to replace the foam element.

My impresssions:

When foam element removed there was dirt inside the unit, on the plastic of the Air Sensor. Also the foam element sounded a hell of a lot louder roar when I got to above 4K RPM. Could not hear the exhaust at all.

K&N Cone is a lot quieter, no more roar :crying: But I hope it filters better than the foam did.

This was a five minute ride impression, so I will have to see with an extended drive.

Tony
2007 Firemist Ford Escape Limited
2002 Blaze Yellow MX-5 SE
medrvmx5
Lapsed Member

Postby bill_keksz » March 3rd, 2004, 7:14 am

Actually, I'm wondering about subbing a paper filter for the K&N on my RB intake.

Good-Win claims the Monsterflow filter is resonsible for much of the advertised HP/torque gains. But he only dyno comparo plots they show are for a "tired" NA 1.8. I'd assume with a very dirty OEM filter, then compared to the brand new Monsterflow setup.
bill_keksz
Contributing Member

Postby ian » March 3rd, 2004, 8:35 am

i was never comfortable with foam filters either, so i took the one off my wife's car when we got married. neither the throttle body or maf were very clean, and i doubt i'll be using foam again.
ian
Lapsed Member

Postby bill_keksz » March 3rd, 2004, 9:03 am

OBTW - I just emailed Good-Win as to whether they had put in a clean OEM filter before the comparison.
bill_keksz
Contributing Member

Postby bill_keksz » March 3rd, 2004, 11:41 am

And this just in:

>
> Hello Bill,
>
> Yes, we tuned it first, fresh plugs, wires, oil, filter, etc.
>
>
> Brian Goodwin
> Good-Win Racing
> www.good-win-racing.com
>
bill_keksz
Contributing Member

Postby Tralfaz » March 15th, 2004, 8:39 pm

ian wrote:i was never comfortable with foam filters either, so i took the one off my wife's car when we got married. neither the throttle body or maf were very clean, and i doubt i'll be using foam again.

Hmm....

My stays rather clean, though I maintain it with every other oil change.

T
Tralfaz
Lapsed Member

Postby ian » March 19th, 2004, 10:22 pm

i'm not sure how long she had it on the car (year and a half?) or how often (if ever?) it was serviced. k&n's run best a little dirty, so it's one less thing to think about vs foam.
ian
Lapsed Member

Postby bill_keksz » March 20th, 2004, 5:14 am

Well, the Monsterflow came yesterday, so (again, with luck) maybe I can swap header & intake Sunday.
bill_keksz
Contributing Member

Postby SEMX5 » April 21st, 2004, 11:38 am

Swapped OEM with K&N at PBC... and although I cant contribute the entire performance increase to K&N (the oem filter had grass sticking out of it, to give you an idea how dirty it was)... there was significant noticable improvement.

On the drive home, it was a bit jumpy at 5k rpms (car would lunge forward and acceleration intermittantly oscillated at full throttle past this point)

After about 5 hrs of driving on the filter, all sudden changes in acceleration during full throttle ceased; the car accelerates at a consistantly smooth rate.

I'm happy.
'04 RX8 GT - New Daily :-)
'01 SE Miata - Old Daily :-(
SEMX5
Lapsed Member

Return to Naturally Aspirated